28.10.08

Hey Duckie Duckie

I have never before owned a pet, so when my roommates suggested getting a cat, I thought it was a great idea!

haha. little did i know... For the first few days she was super fun. She was very cute, exploring the house and getting used to us and she was so well behaved! We named her Duckie as in the Ugly Duckling. Not because she's ugly, but because she was unwanted. We got her from a farm that had too many cats.

After the "honeymoon" stage, she started to show her true colours. She has a cycle of mellow and cute --> getting excited and pouncy-->hyper and running around-->pinball machine, literally climbing the curtains-->getting tired and sleepy-->sleeping-->back to mellow and cute and it just continues on in this cycle.
She also has fairly sharp claws, and having never had a pet before I was unable to appreciate these. I didn't like her pretty much at all. Then one weekend we were home alone. Saturday afternoon I forced myself to grin and bare it when she started playing with me and her claws were out. This was about three or four weeks after we'd had her. And I can now officially say that it actually doesn't hurt! (usually - I had some bad scratch marks from when she "didn't want to be picked up") I have turned into one of "those' pet owners that say "she's just playing!" Ahh!!! (I still don't really like any other animals - just Duckie. She has a "friend" that comes over to play sometimes and I don't really like her.)

So I'm not sure if I really "love" her yet. But I've started showering her with kisses (more so to annoy her I think) when I go to bed. Oh and I tried to sleep with her one night and that just didn't work. She was fine, I just couldn't sleep - too scary. So I'm not a super huge fan still, but I like her and know how to live with her now. And she hasn't really made me mad anytime recently (like when she pooped on my roommate's bed three times in two days!! those were bad times)

Duckie - our crazy, psychotic cat :)

4 comments:

Mom said...

Made me laugh, Michelle!

Jana said...

You're totally like Ian will be if we ever get a cat . . . like, "what do you do with this thing?" Poor you, not having a pet growing up! :-)

Ian Elford said...

I couldn't do it.

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

oh my gosh...are you sure that's not Luna? Duckie's adorable!