9.2.08

Tragedy and Film

On cbc.ca they reported that there is a major fire at Camden Market in London - one of my favorite locations in that beautiful city. There is no indication yet of the extent of damage done, but I fear that it is quite extensive. Camden Market is a wonderful market full of shops selling all kinds of bits and bobs. It was a bit touristy and some of the items sold there were a little ridiculous, but it was a fun place, and lots of the shops had cool vintage clothing and beautiful jewelry and it had a unique atmosphere. I would be very sad if it were drastically altered. This is the only picture (of mine) that I could find right now. Its from when I was there two years ago now at Christmastime.
Other than that, I've been keeping myself busy doing homework - lots of reading and responses - and trying to watch some films that have been nominated for the Oscars. Recently, I've watched No Country for Old Men, Atonement, and Michael Clayton - all of which are nominated for Best Picture.

NCOM - At first when I watched this I was so freaked out - it was so scary and violent! But I also was really able to appreciate the beauty and depth of it at the same time. (does that make any sense?) Then after thinking about it and reading reviews of it, I've started to understand more fully the implications of the film. It really demonstrates the moral confusion of our time, I think, and the fate of everyone. I really want to watch it again because I think I need to hear some of the dialogue again, but just am not sure if I really can handle watching it again just yet. So I liked it but it was pretty brutal. (again... don't know if that makes sense)

Atonement -I absolutely loved it and really want to read the book (which is on my list... :) what a brilliantly written story and I just love Keira Knightley and Joe Wright (the director - he always does those unbelievably long shots that are incredible). So good.

Michael Clayton - maybe I was just too tired, but I didn't really like it a whole lot. I didn't find it quite as thrilling as it proclaimed to be and I don't think I fully understood it all - not legal minded I guess! - but if you got more out of it - please, enlighten me.

These are not meant to be reviews just what I thought about them, as is my blog - just about my life. So don't take it too seriously ;) but do give me your opinions!

2 comments:

Ian Elford said...

That sounds similar to how Jana felt about NCOM. She'll admit that it's the perfect movie, but she didn't enjoy it.

I, on the other hand, did enjoy it. Very much. The Coen Bros. give the movie a Texas pace, but with a brutal and unforgiving villain. It was almost like watching a horror movie at times. I especially love Tommy Lee Jones in that movie. Every line of his is so great!

Shauna said...

I want to see all of those movies, but it sounds like i'll wait a while before i see NCOM. I think that that's a good idea...