14.1.08

School related

I'm going to talk about something I read about for one of my classes today. For my Leadership and Administration class, I'm reading an article entitled "Servant Leadership" by Robert Greenleaf. There is a reference to a book called Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse. This book ends with a quote that I really like. "Creations of poetry are more vivid and real than the poet themselves."
Hesse was a man with a tormented life and although he would not be able to 'be something beautiful' he could create something that would carry on with people. I just find it really true because often if someone's legacy is carried on, it is because of something they did or created - not the person themself. I looked up on my list of 1001 books to read before you die. And three of his books are on that list! Not Journey to the East but I'm still excited cuz now I want to read those books! Anyway, just thought I would share that quote. Let me know if it means anything to you.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I was thinking abou this idea yesterday (Martin Luther King Jr. Day here in the U.S.). About how one person's ideas and words can so outlive them and become this great inspirational thing to so many people who come after.

It's a good thought.